Antwerp (in dutch Antwerpen), is a large harbor in Belgium, on the left bank of the Scheldt, concentrating one tenth of the country's industrial power (refinerie and petrochemistry, automotive industry, food, diamant cutting, etc.). About 470 000 inhab. (800 000 in the agglomeration).

City Hall and Brabo fountain, by Jef Lambeaux (1887)

Economic capital of the Western world in the XV th century, Antwerp was dethroned by Amsterdam in the XVII th. Due to her strategic importance she was the stake of many battles.

The Cathedral

She knew another expansion after 1833, when she became the main harbor of the young kingdom of Belgium. She was occupied by the germans in 1914 and 1940.

The Cathedral and Rubens statue

Large gothic cathedral with seven naves and a tower 123 m high, built from 1350 to circa 1530 (Rubens masterpieces). Gothic churches. On the Grote Markt, merchant guild houses and monumental City Hall by C. Floris de Vriendt (1565). Baroque churches of St Augustin and St Charles Borromée (beginning of XVII th).

Main museums : Royal Arts, flemish school from the XV th to the XX th centuries ; Archeology and Applied Arts ; Mayer Van den Bergh (sculptures, miniatures, paintings, drawings) ; Rubens House ; Maritime ; Sculpture of the XX th century.

The Pamir put there before the First World war, in 1948, in 1951, waiting to be scrapped, and in december 1956, bound for Montevideo.

The harbor

The harbor (1)

Scheldt banks

The harbor (1)

The city and the harbor (1)

The harbor (1)

The quays

The quays c. 1905

House "The five Continents" (1901)
Schildersstraat X Plaatsnijdersstraat

The quays in 1892

Salvius Brabo statue c. 1905

The Cathedral

Grote Markt

Rubens Statue

Rubens House


Drydock (2)

The jetty and the Steen (2)

Kattendijkdock (2)

Drydock (2)


The Pamir at Anvers, 11/1956


(1) Port of Antwerp

(2) Private Source, Mr Jan Klootwijk, The Netherlands

The voyages of the Pamir

The harbors of the Pamir

The Pamir