Since the last century Valparaíso stayed at the edge of the progress: installation of the first telephonic line, of one of the firsts railways of the
country and foundation of the newspaper "El Mercurio".
In the plain, the Matriz church, the Victory square, the harbor, the customs house and the legendary chinese quarter are the maritime heart of the Pacific capitale; high place of legendary captains, winners of the Cape Horn.
In her graveyards sleep true seamen and seamen on the paper, dutch captains, architects and singers, heroes and anonymous, poets and girls...
Valparaíso has a dangerous magic... one says that some days, under a special wind, one can fall in love with a lift, a beach, a bar...
One speaks about an engineer who, without any apparent reason, in the middle of a business trip, bought a bar and since then stays here, talking between the tables...
In 1832, the first goods stores were built aswell as other quays between 1831 and 1832.
The revenue quay was built between 1870 and 1876. At the end of the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th century, Valparaíso was the first South Pacific harbor.
After that last building, a passenger wharf was built and called "Muelle Prat", finished in 1884.
The present installations were built between 1910 and 1930. They spread over more than 2,5 kilometers.
This harbor processes one of the country higher volume of goods per year.
Since 1982, the increase of the contener transportation required to modernise the installations. The private sector takes part to the handling.
The administration in charge of the harbors is the Empresa Portuaria de Chile, based in Valparaíso.
Viña del Mar
for Antofagasta, probably in 1929
The voyages of the Pamir
The harbours of the Pamir